Complaint Procedures

Are You Satisfied With How You Were Treated?

We expect that all Veterans Review and Appeal Board employees and Board Members handling your case treated you with respect, courtesy and professionalism. If that is not the case, please do not hesitate to share your concerns with us and tell us how we could have served you better.

If your complaint pertains to one of our employees, please provide us with the employee’s name, the date you communicated with the employee and an explanation of what you found upsetting. Your complaint will be directed to that employee’s supervisor.

If you are complaining about the manner in which you were treated at the hearing, please provide the date and location of the hearing and indicate whether your complaint involves all Members of the panel or one particular Member. Your complaint may lead to an internal investigation if the Chairperson considers such action to be advisable.

Please be advised that the individual Board Member or employee that is the subject of your complaint may be provided with a copy of the complaint. However, the individual(s) involved will only be informed of the complaint after the decision in your case has been issued.

You may forward your complaint by using the Complaint form found here (How to access .pdf documents.) on this web site, by mail at

  • Veterans Review and Appeal Board
  • P.O. Box 9900
  • Charlottetown, PEI
  • C1A 8V7

or by fax (toll-free) at 1-855-850-4644. You will receive a written acknowledgement within seven days of receipt of your complaint. The Board is committed to processing your complaint within 60 days from the date of receipt to the date of response.

Any information you provide to us will be protected from unauthorized disclosure and is subject to the provisions of the Government of Canada’s Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act. Rest assured that your complaint will not negatively impact on any services or benefits you are currently receiving.

Dissatisfied With the Outcome of a Disability Pension or Award Decision in Your Case

This complaint process is not to be used to address dissatisfaction with the Veterans Review and Appeal Board’s decisions.

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your Review level decision, you have the right to request that your case to be heard at the Appeal level. This complaint process is not to be used to address dissatisfaction with the Veterans Review and Appeal Board’s decisions or the fact that your request for disability compensation was not favourable.

If your case has gone through the Review and Appeal levels and you are still dissatisfied and if your case meets the necessary requirements, you may request that your case be reconsidered by the Veterans Review and Appeal Board. You can also request a judicial review of your case by the Federal Court of Canada. Your representative (advocate or private solicitor) is in the best position to advise you on your options.

Other Concerns

The Veterans Review and Appeal Board is an independent tribunal and operates at arm’s length to the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you wish to raise concerns regarding services and benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs, please contact them at their toll free number 1-866-522-2122 or visit their website at The Veterans Review and Appeal Board cannot investigate complaints on matters outside of its mandate.

The Department of Veterans Affairs provides appellants with free legal advice, assistance and representation services from its advocates located in the Bureau of Pensions Advocates. Should you have any questions relating to services provided by the Bureau of Pensions Advocates, you can reach them at their toll free number 1-877-228-2250. You can obtain additional information by visiting the website at

You may also receive free assistance with your case by contacting your local Veterans’ service organizations.

Complaint form

(How to access .pdf documents)